2021 @PT Call for Exploratory Proposals
Driving innovation through integrated EXPLORATORY research!
The MIT Portugal Partnership 2030 (MPP2030) is inviting submissions for the 2021 Call for Exploratory Research Proposals, between May 19th and June 29th. This is the second Call for ERPs projects launched under the third phase of the Program that started in 2018 ( MIT Portugal Partnership 2030) and funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT).
Exploratory Research Projects (ERP) are intended to support teams of researchers from the National Science and Technology System (SCTN) entities, public and private partners, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
The ERP’s are one (1) year-long projects hosted at Portuguese Universities to address emergent research topics. All exploratory projects serve as early research for the long-term objective of innovative products and services with high export potential that should spearhead Portugal’s international competitiveness and innovative capacity in science and technology, and ultimately contribute to the growth of the Portuguese economy.
This call is open to all faculty and researchers affiliated or collaborating with Portuguese institutions of higher education and research, as well as faculty and research staff at MIT.
Research activity between MIT and Portuguese universities should develop smart solutions, foster value out of knowledge/research, promote sustainable thinking, integrate human factors and technology, and stimulate multidisciplinary approaches.
All applications must fully comply with the terms of reference defined in the “Terms of Reference for the MIT Portugal Program – 2021 Call for Proposals” document.
EXPLORATORY RESEARCH TOPICS
The present call is opened for the following four (4) research areas, all of which should be supported by data science.
- Climate Science & Climate Change
- Earth Systems: Oceans to Near Space
- Digital Transformation in Manufacturing
- Sustainable Cities
Successful proposals are required to meet the following criteria:
- Be of exceptional quality and high relevance for Portugal. They will target innovative, high impact research that addresses unique research needs and opportunities in Portugal.
- Take an “exploratory approach,” i.e. address an emergent research topic within the program framework that can be identified as future research domains and that can have a high impact for Portugal as a scalable living laboratory and innovation ecosystem for the development of new solutions/systems with a global reach, and for fostering an increase of competitiveness of Portuguese economy in the knowledge-based industry.
- Be designed with a view towards the long-term objective of developing innovative solutions/systems, demonstrating and leading Portugal’s international competitiveness and innovative capacity in science and technology.
- Be strongly collaborative and have a clear multidisciplinary approach.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The call is open to all faculty and researchers affiliated or collaborating with Portuguese institutions of higher education and research.
Only research teams from the following Portuguese entities may apply for funding:
• Higher education institutions, their institutes and R&D units;
• State or international Laboratories with head office in Portugal;
• Non-profit private institutions whose main objective is R&D activities;
• Other non-profit private and public institutions developing or participating in scientific research activities.
FUNDING AND BUDGET ALLOCATION
The projects will be funded by National funds through the FCT, I.P., budget.
Depending on the quality and merit of the projects, up to 8 (eight) project proposals are expected to be funded.
The budget allocation for this call is EUR 400.000, for projects starting in 2021. The maximum funding limit for each project is EUR 50.000 (fifty thousand euros).
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications should be presented to FCT, in English, from 19 May to 29 June 2021, at 17:00 Lisbon time using a specific on-line form and should be submitted through the FCT platform following the Announcement of the Call for Proposals, the guidelines provided in the Terms of Reference and in the general FCT guidelines for the submission of on-line applications for grants.
Applications to this call must include the on-line FCT form and the following documents, also submitted electronically:
- “Collaboration Letter” from the MIT researcher associated with the project, describing his/her contribution to the project proposal;
- A document that certifies the PhD degree of the of Principal Investigator (PI);
- Timeline file for project tasks.
- Scanning of the Declaration of Commitment for each application must be submitted on the FCT platform until 13 July 2021, at 17:00 Lisbon time.
Before submitting a proposal, applicants are advised to read all the documents of the call, namely: the FCT Projects Regulation, the Guidelines for Exploratory Research Projects Proposals Writing, the Terms of Reference for the Exploratory Research Projects Call for Proposals 2021, the Guide for Peer Reviewers, CIÊNCIAVITAE Guide and the Ethics Self-Assessment Guide.
This Announcement and other relevant materials and information, are available at FCT’s website.
Please contact the MIT Portugal Program at email@example.com (for inquires of a scientific nature) and [email protected] (for specific information related to application submission).
– Application open: 19 May, 2021
– All submissions due by: 29 June 2021, at 17:00 Lisbon time
– Declaration Commitment until: 13 July 2021, at 17:00 Lisbon time
29 June 2021, at 17:00 Lisbon time
- 50 k€/project only for Portuguese participating parties
- Funding for the MIT research team participating in the project will be provided directly by MIT through the Call for Seed Projects held at MIT.
- be led by a research group from an institution listed under Section 2 of this call;
- have the participation of a MIT researcher (with Principal Investigator status) in the project’s Research Team.
– Notice of the Call [ENG] [PT]
– Terms of reference
– Application Guide
– Guide for Peer Reviewers
– Ethics Self Assessment Guide
– FCT Projects Regulation
– FCT platform
– FCT guidelines for the submission of on-line applications
– CIÊNCIAVITAE Guide