2019 @PT Call for Exploratory Proposals
Exploratory research projects are single year-long projects hosted at Portuguese Universities to address emergent research topics. We hope these projects can have a high impact for Portugal as a scalable living laboratory and innovation ecosystem for the development of new products and services with a global reach. We also hope to foster an increase of competitiveness for the Portuguese economy in knowledge-based industries by funding these projects.
Projects should be conceptualized through an integrated and multidisciplinary research design with a view towards piloting and scalability involving the National Research and Innovation System, MIT, or other public and private partners.
Research activity between MIT and Portuguese universities should develop smart solutions, foster value out of knowledge/research, promote sustainable thinking, integrate human factors and technology, and stimulate multidisciplinary approaches.
The 2019 Exploratory Project Proposals will target four areas:
- Climate Science & Climate Change
- Earth Systems: Oceans to Near Space
- Digital Transformation in Manufacturing
- Sustainable Cities
All exploratory projects have the long-term objective to develop innovative products and services with high export potential that should spearhead Portugal’s international competitiveness and innovative capacity in science and technology, and ultimately contribute to the growth of the Portuguese economy.
For more information visit FCT website.
FUNDING AND BUDGET ALLOCATION
The projects will be funded by National funds through the FCT, I.P., budget.
Depending on the quality and merit of the projects, up to 8 (eight) project proposals are expected to be funded.
The budget allocation for this call is EUR 400.000, for projects starting in 2020. The maximum funding limit for each project is EUR 50.000 (fifty thousand euros).
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications should be presented to FCT, in English, from 29 October to 5 December, 2019, at 17:00 Lisbon time using a specific on-line form and should be submitted through the FCT platform following the Announcement of the Call for Proposals.
Applications to this call must include the on-line FCT form and the following documents, also submitted electronically:
- “Collaboration Letter” from the MIT researcher associated with the project;
- A document that certifies the PhD degree of the of Principal Investigator (PI);
- Written agreement between the PI and the Principal Contractor (if applicable) in accordance with Section 7.1 from the terms of reference;
- Declaration on the regulatory framework for State Aid – non-corporate entities of the R&I system;
- Timeline file for project tasks;
Scanning of the Declaration of Commitment for each application must be submitted on the FCT platform until 19 December 2019.
Before submitting a proposal, applicants are advised to read the Regulations mentioned in Section 9 of the announcement, namely: the Guidelines for Exploratory Research Projects Proposals Writing, the Terms of Reference for the Exploratory Research Projects Call for Proposals 2019, and the FCT Projects Regulation.
December 5, 2019, 5pm (Lisbon Time)
- 50 k€/project only for Portuguese participating parties
- Funding for the MIT research team participating in the project will be provided directly by MIT through the Call for Seed Projects held at MIT.
- be led by a research group from an national institution;
- have the participation of a MIT researcher (with Principal Investigator status) in the project’s Research Team.