MIT Portugal hosted its annual PGC meeting
The MIT Portugal Program held its annual Program Governing Committee (PGC) Meeting on March 3rd. The PGC is responsible for policy oversight with respect to overall objectives and approves the annual plan, and budget allocation for the proposed activities
This year, on January 2022, two respectable members, Dava Newman and Paulo Ferrão, joined the MIT Portugal Governing Committee (PGC). These nominations resulted from a discussion between the Direction of the Program, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), and MIT administration regarding the expansion of the PGC from 5 to 7 members taking into account the background and experience of the new members.
The PGC is represented by:
- José Paulo Esperança, Vice-President FCT & PGC Chair
- António M. Cunha, President of Norte Portugal Regional Coordination and Development Commission, as Representative of the Portuguese participating entities
- Dava Newman, Director MIT Media Lab; Apollo Program Professor of Astronautics at MIT and Harvard-MIT Health, Sciences, and Technology faculty member, as MIT senior administration representative
- Isabel Furtado, CEO of TMG Automotive, as Portuguese Industry Representative
- Maria Zuber, Vice President for Research at MIT, as MIT senior administration representative
- Paulo Ferrão, Professor at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), as Representative of the Portuguese participating entities
- Richard K. Lester, MIT Associate Provost for International Activities, as MIT senior administration representative
The meeting started with the welcome notes of José Paulo Esperança (FCT) and was followed by the presentation of the MIT Portugal activity report by the invited MIT Portugal Directors (Doug Hart; John Hansman; Zita Martins and Pedro Arezes). The session ended with the proposed activities for 2022, Budgets and Strategic Directions.The PGC reviewed and approved the annual plan and budget allocation for the proposed activities.