MIT Portugal Program is a driver of university-based entrepreneurial and spin-off activity in Portugal. A core part of this strategy is the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative (IEI), founded in 2010 in co-operation with the Higher Institute of Business and Labour Sciences at the Lisbon University Institute (ISCTE-IUL), the core component of which is a €1,000,000 university-based venture competition in Portugal Building Global Innovators. Building Global Innovators™ (BGI) is promoted by ISCTE-IUL, MIT Portugal, Caixa Capital, Deshpande Center for Technical Innovation and the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship.
Since the 1st edition, BGI has achieved outstanding goals:
- 384 submissions, 46.1% from startups/spin-offs, from 22 countries, involving 1,498 participants;
- Over €20 million have been raised by semifinalists (about 50% from Angels and VC)
- 55 active startups among 80 semifinalists identified, coached & mentored over 3,000 hours
- 160+ new jobs created amounting to 300+ jobs thus far
This event is by far the largest of its kind in Portugal, and breaks ground for more entrepreneurial activity to emerge from Portuguese universities. It is worth noting that some of the first MPP PhD graduates are pursuing entrepreneurial careers with the support the competition’s prizes.GlucoWise wins Building
- Global Innovators 4th Ed
- Building Global Innovators announces 4th Edition Track Finalists
- The 20 Semi-finalists of BGI’s 4th Edition
- The entrepreneurship process by BGI Exc. Director
- BGI finalists on the news
- Veniam is the winner of BGI 3rd Edition!
- BGI in review at boston.com article
- BGI - A truly Global Event