The mission of the educational program of the Transportation Systems focus area of the program is the development of a cadre of transportation researchers and professionals in Portugal who are trained at the system level in the design and management of a technology-intensive, intermodal transportation system.
The objectives of this educational program are:
- Produce graduates educated in the technological- and systems-related quantitative approaches required to understand the transportation enterprise as an intermodal integrated system;
- Further our understanding of institutional, organizational, and political factors in the deployment and operation of transportation systems;
- Develop capabilities for future transportation leaders working at the interface between engineering, public policy, and business/financial models ;
- Effectively integrate research and education, which is critical in the development of a strong and practical intellectual basis for these academic programs;
- Involve industrial, government, and laboratory collaborators; and
- Engage in education and research activities that are valuable to and consistent with the interests of transportation stakeholders in Portugal.
A PhD program in Transportation Systems is offered in association by Instituto Superior Tecnico da Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa (IST), Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto (FEUP) and Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra (FCTUC).