2020 @MIT Call for Seed Proposals
The MIT Portugal Partnership 2030 (MPP2030) is inviting submissions of project proposals for one-year seed funding at MIT. MPP2030 is a strategic international partnership between Portuguese universities and research institutions, MIT, the Portuguese government, and partners from industry and other non-academic institutions. Launched in June of 2018 and funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), its goal is to strengthen Portugal’s knowledge base and international competitiveness through a strategic investment in research, people, and ideas in areas of global relevance and with significant societal impact.
For the 2020 call at MIT, we are seeking outstanding proposals in the following four data-science driven areas, namely:
Eligible proposals submitted by an MIT Principal Investigator by February 14, 2020, 11:59 pm EST, with a maximum budget of $90,000.00 USD, that meet one or more of the following criteria will be considered:
- Carry out early-stage research or exploratory studies within the scope of one or more of the research areas; Cross-area proposals, which credibly include and combine multiple areas, are highly encouraged
- Create critical momentum and synergies among Portuguese and MIT faculty colleagues and engage in collaborative program activities
The call is open to all MIT Principal Investigators (PIs) from any School, Department, Laboratory, or Center. Only MIT PIs are eligible to receive funding.
We strongly encourage collaborations with faculty colleagues, industry, and other institutions in Portugal—as well as with MIT colleagues. While this funding is exclusively for MIT PIs, an “exploratory” call is open for Portuguese-only funding and collaborative efforts are ideal. See the MPP2030 website for more details on the exploratory call. The MIT Portugal Program is currently curating a list of Portuguese university PIs who are seeking MIT collaborators. For more information on potential partners, please email [email protected].
Funding & Project Term
- The maximum funding for a seed project is $90,000.00 USD
- Awarded funds are inclusive of MIT overhead fees
- Awarded funds must be spent by the Program-designated completion date
- Awarded project teams must participate in the MIT Portugal Annual Conference which is typically held at the end of September in Portugal
- Project midterm research updates and a final report on all activities must be provided by each funded project
Application & Evaluation Process
- Applications must be submitted using the proposal template
- All proposals and questions regarding the call should be submitted to [email protected].
- Current seed fund awardees are also eligible to receive funding with the application of a new proposal for 2020
- The submission deadline for seed fund applications is February 14, 2020, 11:59 pm EST
- Proposals will be evaluated based on:
- Relevance of the proposed research for the data-science driven research areas of MPP2030 (see sections Summary and Research Areas in this document)
- Proposed synergistic program activities that increase the impact, sustainability, and visibility of MPP2030 (see section Summary in this document)
- Quality, feasibility, and originality of proposed research
- Specific collaborations with faculty colleagues, industry, and other institutions in Portugal—as well as with MIT colleagues
- Funding decisions will be made by April 1, 2020
- All proposals will be assessed based on scientific merit and relevance
- Proposals with Portuguese collaborators will be prioritized
February 14, 11:59 pm, EST, 2020
- Up to $90,000.00 USD (inclusive of overhead fees)
- A coordinated “exploratory” call is open for Portuguese PIs
- Only MIT Principal Investigators are eligible to receive funding
- Specific collaborations with faculty colleagues, industry, and other institutions in Portugal—as well as with MIT colleagues—are highly encouraged and will be part of the evaluation