Aleksandr Prodan has graduated in 2011at MIT Portugal Transportation Systems CTIS Masters and is currentely a PhD Candidate at the Doctoral Program in Transportation Systems (DPTS).
PhD Supervisores: Paulo F. Teixeira (IST), Joseph Sussman (MIT)
Thesis title: Linking Railway Infrastructure Costs to Infrastructure Charges
Research Summary: Over the past 20 years, the railway sector in Europe has been undergoing a restructuring process, where Infrastructure Management has been separated from Train Operations. This vertical separation is intended to improve performance of railways and to introduce competition into the sector. Trains now have to pay to use the infrastructure, and they are subject to certain access rules that they were not subject to before. Also, competition within the sector is slowly being introduced. This thesis studies the financial relationship between Infrastructure Managers and Train Operators to see how existing charging schemes work and whether they comply with European legislation. This thesis then aims to relate infrastructure maintenance costs to infrastructure charges and, in the last step, to develop a toolkit that will be useful for Infrastructure Managers in creating new charging schemes that are compliant with current legislation.
- Teixeira, P., and A. Prodan. "European Study on Infrastructure Charges." 8th UIC high speed world congress, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. 2012.
- Prodan, A.; Teixeira, P.F.; Lopez-Pita, A. "EU Railway Infrastructure Tariff Systems: 2005-2012 Analysis and Trends." World Congress on Transportation Research, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 2013.
- Teixeira, P.F.; Prodan, A; Ferreira, P.A. "EU Railway Infrastructure Tariff Systems: Analyzing the Economic Interaction between Infrastructure Managers and Railway Undertakings." World Congress on Transportation Research, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 2013.
- Prodan, A; Teixeira, P.F.; "Station Charging Systems and Financial Analysis of Vertical Separation in Europe." NextStation Conference, Moscow, Russia, 2013.
- Prodan, A; Teixeira, P.F.; Lopez-Pita A. "EU railway infrastructure tariff systems: 2007-2012 Trends and Benchmarking." World Congress on Railway Research, Sydney, Australia. 2013.
- Teixeira, Paulo, and Aleksandr Prodan. "Railway Infrastructure Pricing in Europe for High-Speed and Intercity Services: State of the 4 Practice and Recent Evolution 5." Transportation Research Board 93rd Annual Meeting. No. 14-4203. 2014.