Applying to the Program - DEADLINE EXTENDED** - ADDITIONAL REGIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Applications to the 2016-2017 MIT Portugal graduate programs are now OPEN
|MIT Portugal Graduate Programs||Program||First Call||Second Call|
|PhD Program||Bioengineering Systems||
May 15th, 2016 (DEADLINE EXTENDED** in light of the ADDITIONAL REGIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS)
(Application period for scholarships)
May 16th – July 1st 2016
|Sustainable Energy Systems|
|Leaders for Technical Industries|
|Advanced Courses||Bioengineering Systems||
|Sustainable Energy Systems|
|Technology Management Enterprise|
*The Complex Transport Infrastructure Systems (CTIS) master will not be offered in 2016/2017
**Deadline is extended for the following Programs and institutions: Bioengineering Systems (FCTUNL/IST-UL/UMinho), Sustainable Energy Systems (FEUP/IST-UL/FCUL/ FCTUC), Transportation Systems (FEUP) and Leaders for Technical Industries (IST-UL/FEUP/UMinho)
The doctoral programs listed above were selected under the call from Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, IP (FCT,IP), through which ten scholarships per year per program are awarded to selected candidates. The jury of each doctoral program will select the candidates to receive the scholarships funded though the FCT,IP. The contract for each scholarship will be signed directly by the selected candidate and FCT.
Additional Scholarships will be attributed under NORTE 2020, a financial instrument to support regional development in northern Portugal. Under the scope of this national program, three MIT Portugal programs were distinguished with additional funding for 9 extra scholarships at Partner Universities in the North of Portugal, as follows:
- Bioengineering Program: 4 scholarships at Universidade do Minho
- Sustainable Energy Systems: 3 scholarships at Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto
- Transportation Systems: 2 scholarships at Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto
All eligible candidates not selected under the PD-F scholarships will be automatically considered the NORTE 2020 scholarships, unless they state otherwise. The financial support for these scholarships was submitted to ESF – European Social Fund, under Programa Operacional Regional do Norte - Norte2020 and got merit in the evaluation. The submission is now under administrative analysis. The contracting process of the grants is subjected to the signing of the institutional contract with the funding entity.
The application period for the scholarships coincides with the first-call period, from January 25th through April 13th (DEADLINE WAS EXTENDED** UNTIL MAY 15th), 2016, 5 pm, GMT. Candidates who submit applications after the first-call application period will not be eligible for scholarships. However, the doctoral program committees will carefully analyze and consider applications received during the second-call period.
The following instructions refer to the application call for the 2016/17 academic year.
The Online Application Form
- Click on the “Application Form” link on this page or the sidebar menu.
- Under the "Create your Account" heading, click the "Create your Account" link.
- Create a user name and password, and write them down. If you need to close the application form before you finalize and submit it, you can access it again using your user name and password.
- After you create an account, click on "Return to Main Menu."
- From the "Application Menu" page, click on "MIT Portugal Application."
- When prompted, enter your user name and password; this will give you access to the application form.
Returning to the form:
- If you use a private computer and have cookies enabled, click on "MIT Portugal Application" and access your form, which will include any data you entered previously. Re-entering your user name and password may not be required.
- If you use a public computer, you must enter your username and password each time you access the form.
The online application prompts you to attach files containing the items below. Your application will not be considered without them.
- Your CV (in English)
- Your motivation letter (in English)
- Digital copies of all your academic certificates showing the final classification you obtained, and official transcripts listing the grade/classification of each discipline/subject you studied during each degree program. If you are in your last year of a program, you can present the certificates and official transcripts in September 2016.
- Letters of reference
Letters of Reference
Each candidate must submit two letters of reference to the appropriate address in the following list:
The references, not the applicants, must send the reference letters before the application deadline. Reference letters must follow the reference letter template provided. The letters should be printed on official stationery of the institution at which the reference works, and must include a URL for the institution so the affiliation can be confirmed. The letters must be signed by the reference and then attached to an email sent to the appropriate email address listed above.
It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that MIT Portugal receives both letters before the application deadline.
The MIT Portugal Program has an equal opportunity policy. We aim to ensure that no applicant receives less favorable consideration on the grounds of gender, marital status, race, age, color, nationality, ethnic origin, or religious belief. We welcome applications from people with disabilities.